UK law firm Shoosmiths is celebrating five years since the opening of its Leeds office, as it continues its “ambitious” growth strategy across the group.
Since its launch in December 2016, the West Yorkshire office has expanded “exponentially” in terms of client wins, deal volumes, and team hires, according to the firm.
It initially opened with only seven members of staff, but the office has since grown to almost 100 people.
The base is located in a “state-of-the-art” workspace at Platform, which is also home to flexible working spaces.
Key clients of the firm include Morrisons, Sports Direct, Travelodge, LDC, Northedge, London Luton Airport, Torsion and Extra MSA.
Recent highlights for the firm include:
- Advising real estate fund manager Moorfield group on its £600m partnership with Bricklane
- Handling the £500m acquisition by Berkeley De Veer of Avant Homes
- Acting for Wild Life Group Limited on its equity and debt raise by BGF and Lloyds Banking Group
- Supporting Euro Vital Pharma on the cross-border acquisition of European Vitamin and Supplement manufacturer Principle Healthcare group
- Leading Berlin Private Equity House, Capiton AG (via its investee company Fydec Holding SA – Dec Group) on its acquisition of Extract Technologies, a division of New York Stock Exchange listed Wabash National Corporation.
In addition, the Leeds team has also been commended for its support within the local community, including:
- Volunteer work with ‘Pathways to Law’ with the University of Leeds, supporting A-level students from under-represented backgrounds interested in a law career
- Fundraising for the office’s nominated charity, Candlelighters, raising over £35,000 in two years despite imposed lockdown restrictions
Simon Meek, Leeds head of office for Shoosmiths, said: “The firm’s five-year anniversary in Leeds is an important time to reflect on the sheer growth and impressive reputation that has been built within the city. Leeds isn’t short of lawyers, and I’m proud of our successes with the best talent forming our team – given our award-winning firm culture matched with an impressive client list.
“We deliver advice with a passion by partner led teams, with a real interest in the best outcome for our clients – alongside a commitment to our people and the wider community. We look forward to continuing to build this northern hub of expertise, growing our ambitious targets and brand reputation in this exciting market.”